The weather is finally getting warmer, and that means it is time for a little spring cleaning! I don’t mean dusting, vacuuming, and window washing – I’m talking about eliminating the clutter in your home and office!
This is the perfect time to implement a clutter management strategy that will utilize proven home organizing tips for tackling those piles of clothes, the paper, and the other clutter that you ignored all winter long. This stuff is distracting and can make you anxious inside your own home.
The benefits of getting your space back in order are many! To start, you will be able to find what you are looking for. You won’t waste time looking for an old bill that you need to reconcile or the sweater that you borrowed from a friend that needs to be returned. You will know where every item is located and they will be easy to access. Another great benefit is being able to maximize your space. With less items, you can really use your space for its intended purpose rather than a catch-all for the items you don’t know what to do with! And a final benefit, less clutter means more productivity, so you will have more time to spend on things that you truly want to do!
Often times starting the decluttering process can be a challenge, so here are some tips from the Professional Organizer in NYC to help you start your clutter management project.
5 Spring Cleaning Tips
- Start small. Pick just one small area of your office or your home and focus on decluttering until the job is done.
- Select the least cluttered area first. Sometimes we need to see progress to feel accomplished and to find the motivation to continue on to larger projects. Start with the least cluttered area and finetooth your cluttering strategy before you move on to the bigger projects.
- Set a time limit. Remember that these cluttered piles didn’t get there overnight, so it may take some time to get everything organized. Schedule blocks of time, in 30 or 60 minute increments, on a regular basis to devote solely to decluttering. This also helps avoid the problem of tackling too much and running the risk of getting frustrated and giving up.
- Remove what you don’t need. Sounds simple, right? As you sort through the piles, make an effort to throw away or donate items you no longer need.
- Make sure every item has a home. If every item has a place, then it is easier to maintain your space!
Don’t pay attention to only the physical items in your home, look at your systems and processes as well. They may need a bit of spring decluttering, too! Take this advice from the Professional Organizer in NYC: jump in and conquer the clutter today with these simple tips so that you can feel refreshed and ready to take the world head on!
Share small business news, blogs and social media tips with Project Eve's community of small business owners and entrepreneurs today. Our contributors come from a wide range of backgrounds; so whether you are a small business owner, social media strategist, financial adviser, serial entrepreneur, or write an amateur blog we urge you to contribute a blog to our 500,000+ community today. For more information, please refer to our Content Submissions Guidelines.