For many people in the office, email has become the preferred choice of communication. We can communicate with people all over the world and are constantly connected. As much as this approves our ability to work, especially with a virtual team, it also creates a few challenges.
One such challenge is the issue of productivity. It can be time consuming to craft a well composed email, and it can be equally as time consuming to decipher a poorly written one. A lot can be lost in translation, so often more emails are sent for clarification.
But it doesn’t have to be this way! Here are this Professional Organizer in NYC’s top 7 email organization tips for composing effective emails. These strategies will not only improve your efficiency as the sender, but will also ensure clarity to those on the other end of your email.
- Be clear and concise in your emails. Remember that you lose all non-verbal cues in this digital format so tone is not always easy for the recipient to understand. Make sure your intention is clearly defined.
- Limit yourself to one subject per email. If your email is content heavy, you may get off topic and miss important tasks.
- Get to the point quickly. In the body of your email, get straight to your point by directly specifying the reason for your email.
- You want to be sure that your message is easy to read. This helps the recipient see and retain all of the important information so you don’t need to clarify later. You can achieve this by writing in short paragraphs or using bullet points when appropriate.
- Make sure by the end of your message you have spelled out all specifics for any next steps.
- If you need to ask questions, number them and make sure they are very specific.
- Work those subject lines! Be as specific as you can so there is no question what the email is pertaining to.
By using these 7 simple tips to help you write your emails, you’ll make the writing process more efficient and easier to fit into your day. In fact, you’ll find that you spend less time responding to replies asking for more information and clarification! This Professional Organizer in NYC encourages you to give these 7 email organizing strategies a try and see how much more efficient and productive your day can become.
Share small business news, blogs and social media tips with Project Eve's community of small business owners and entrepreneurs today. Our contributors come from a wide range of backgrounds; so whether you are a small business owner, social media strategist, financial adviser, serial entrepreneur, or write an amateur blog we urge you to contribute a blog to our 500,000+ community today. For more information, please refer to our Content Submissions Guidelines.