Classic Family Movies
Finding a movie everyone in the family can watch and enjoy can be exhausting. Some movies are too mature for little ones; other ones are too babyish for “big kids”; others are just not interesting for parents, trust me, I’ve fallen asleep during plenty of those.
Classic Family Movies But for every bad movie, there’s a great one to keep your interest, especially when it comes to ones for the entire family.
Before you pick another boring movie, check out this list of Classic Family Movies you can all watch together!
1. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (PG) – Although I have a soft spot for aliens (I loved ALF in the ‘80’s) this has got to be one of my all-time favorites. An extraterrestrial, E.T., lands on Earth, and explores with the help of 10-year-old Elliott and his little sister Gertie (Drew Barrymore). The kids get together to save E.T. and help get him home. It’s great movie for kids because it really shows delves deep into their imaginations.
2. The Sound of Music (G) – When someone mentions The Sound of Music you just can’t help but to break out in song. The hills are certainly alive with seven kids running around! Try to keep the kids from singing during this one. It’s first in a list of Classic Family Movies.
3. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (G) – What kid wouldn’t want a golden ticket to a chocolate factory? I wouldn’t mind one myself! This is a great movie full of color and great lines like this, “Invention, my dear friends are 93 percent perspiration, 6 percent electricity, 4 percent evaporation, and 2 percent butterscotch ripple.” What a great imaginative ride for both parents and adults. You won’t fall asleep during this one!
4. The Wizard of Oz – This movie has so many great moments that it’s impossible to just pick one. Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Min, and the Cowardly Lion all have quite the journey along the yellow brick road. Every little girl will want a pair of red ruby slippers after watching this movie. It’s third in a list of Classic Family Movies.
5. Annie (PG) – While this movie has seen a few versions, the storyline remains the same. Little orphan Annie is forced to live with the horrible Miss Hannigan in an orphanage until she’s chosen to live with a wealthy businessman. When my daughters and I watched this movie, they kept asking me why everyone kept singing every five minutes! Nevertheless, they were singing the songs well after and loved the movie.
6. Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs –This movie is a Disney classic. It is actually Disney’s first feature-length film. While little girls may be more drawn to this than boys, this is still a great story. There’s plenty of music and who could forget the seven dwarfs?
7. A Christmas Story (PG) – If you haven’t seen this movie, you absolutely have to! It is one of my favorites and it doesn’t have to be Christmas time for me to watch it. From the tacky leg lamp to unforgettable scenes, this movie is a true classic. Kids love it and learn an important lesson of what happens when they lick icy poles!
8. The Parent Trap–I haven’t shown this movie to my girls, but I’ve seen it countless time. Hayley Mills plays the characters of identical twin sisters who are separated at birth. They find each other at a summer camp and come up with a plan to get their divorced parents back together. There was an updated version done in 1998 with Lindsay Lohan, but the 1961 original is still my favorite.
9. Superman (PG)- As we all know, superheroes of all kinds are “in:” these days, but no one trumps the original Superman. Raised as Clark Kent, he quickly realizes he has superpowers and goes into a phone booth to transform himself. Kids these days may be curious about the whole phone booth thing seeing that these are pretty much gone these days! This is still a true classic.
10. Back to the Future (PG) – The idea of time travel is one that’s sure to grab both kids and adults. Michael J. Fox plays Marty McFly who is thrown back in time some thirty years. This movie is full of imagination!
So when you’re looking for a family activity for the home, you now have a list of some great movies. Grab some popcorn and snacks and enjoy!