I am a beach person, simply put. Luckily, my love for sand and surf has been passed down to my two girls. Although my husband is not as much of a beach bum as us ladies, we still enjoy a good day by the water as a family.
Seeing that we are all about the beach, there are certain things that can make or break your day of fun. Whether you’re around home or looking for a beach to vacation, here’s a look at ten perfect family beaches.
Perfect Family Beaches on the East Coast
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina–
This is one of my favorites, hands down. Miles and miles of sandy shore welcome you down in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. There are plenty of lifeguards on duty, which is perfect if you have little ones. The water is clean and beautiful as well. If you are vacationing here, there are plenty of beach front resorts that also offer water sports and other activities. Once you’re done enjoying the beach, there are other entertainment attractions and water parks to keep everyone happy. There are also restaurants for all appetites. This is not only one of the nicest family beaches, but also a great vacation spot!
2. Ocean City Beach, New Jersey- Ocean City Beach offers eight miles of beach area and activities. There are plenty of restrooms and showers, so you don’t have to search for a potty for the kids! The beach also offers a boardwalk with activities like mini-golf as well as a water park. Like many popular family spots, there are more than enough places to eat. If you’re worried about expensive lodging, don’t. Ocean City Beach has places you can stay that won’t make you go broke. If you are planning on staying a night or two, you can take advantage of events that help make this one of the best family beaches. Character nights, beach walks and family nights are just a few of the things you can enjoy.
3. Humiston Beach- Vero Beach, Florida- Vero Beach, Florida has many beaches and parks that are all family friendly. But, Humiston Beach stands out for several reasons. It has a new playground as well as tables and grills which are perfect for that family picnic. If you don’t want to pack a lunch there’s pizza and ice cream for the kids too. Oceanfront hotels also make this a popular vacation spot. If all of this isn’t enough to make this one of the nicest family beaches, there is also music. Every Saturday night, Humiston Park hosts a free concert series.
4. Mayflower Beach- Dennis, Massachusetts- Although there are plenty of beaches on Cape Cod, Mayflower Beach sticks out because of its extremely calm water. This makes it a big draw for families because parents don’t have to worry about rough surf with the little ones. Late August is a popular time for families at Mayflower Beach. That’s when the annual sand-sculpture contest is held. There are categories for different age groups of kids as well as families working together, making this one of the best family beaches on the East Coast.
5. Siesta Beach – Siesta Key, Florida
Siesta Beach is kid-friendly to the extreme! Kite flying, a playground, snack bar and ice cream shops are just a handful of things that make this a hot spot for families. Besides all of this, kids love Siesta Beach because of the frequent wildlife sightings. Dolphins and pelicans are not unusual. Parents love Siesta Beach too because of its beautiful sand. The area claims on having the whitest sand in the world. Talk about great sand castles! Between the activities, beautiful sand and wonderful food it’s no wonder Mom and Dad think this is tops among family beaches.
6. Ogunquit Beach- Ogunquit, Maine– Ogunquit Beach is on my family beach list this season. It’s one of those places I’ve heard so many good things about but have just never made it around to visit. There are miles and miles of sand perfect for sand castles and shell diving. This area is popular because of its simplicity and beauty by the sea. Like many popular spots, there is also a lot to do. The village of Ogunquit offers restaurants that are family friendly. Once you eat there are also shops where you’re sure to find a memento of your visit to one of the nicest family beaches.
Perfect Family Beaches on the West Coast & Elsewhere
7. – Coronado Municipal Beach – Coronado, California- Coronado Municipal Beach is one of the “must” visits if you’re travelling in the area with the family. Those who have visited have often commented on the numerous lifeguards and great picnic areas. Ice cream is also a must if you’re visiting with the kids. There are plenty of hotels lining the beach, making it another reason families like to visit. If you’re worried about swimming with the little ones, there are tide pools around which are great for non-experienced swimmers. There is always something to do at Coronado Municipal Beach. After stopping by one of the most beautiful family beaches you can also take in several area attractions like the San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park.
8. Cannon Beach- Oregon
Many families like to visit Cannon Beach in Oregon because of its marine life. If your kids are into seeing sea life, then you’ll definitely want to plan a visit here. Volunteers are often around to talk about all the animals located in tide-pools. The only downside is that the water in the summer can be a little chilly, so you may need to rent a wetsuit for the little ones.
9. Santa Cruz Beach – Santa Cruz, California-When it comes to family beaches, the boardwalk at Santa Cruz Beach is well-known. There are plenty of rides for kids of all ages as well as live music throughout the summer. The amusement parks along the beach are one of the reasons why families love it here so much.
10. Zephyr Cove Resort – Zephyr Cove, Nevada-While you may not think of Nevada as a “beach” state, think again. The Zephyr Cove area, on the California border, has a lot to offer. The shallow water is a great draw for families because it’s easier for kids to swim. Another reason why it’s one of the perfect family beaches is because of its watersport and tube rentals. There are also campgrounds as well as cabins and hotels, providing lodging for whatever kind of visit you would like.
If it’s doable you can turn these suggestions into a beach checklist for this summer or summers to come. What are you waiting for? Grab the kids and some sunscreen and head to the beach!