It’s Almost August. Already.
Can you imagine? Weren’t we all just celebrating the New Year? Before we know it, we’ll be preparing for Thanksgiving in no time.
So it goes. Every year for me. That sudden realization that half the year is gone. Dang.
Does that happen to you too?
So this year, I’m going to do something different. I thought I’d share it with you to entice you to do the same thing :)
Let’s do a mid-year review. (Oh whoopee, Lou, really?)
Now, if you’ve ever worked in a large company with those complicated performance review cycles, you would be familiar with the concept of mid-year reviews.
Except, what we do with our bosses at work? Those usually suck because most of the time, those exercises are forced on us and are only done because “it’s required” by HR. Conversations are often awkward, and most of us find ourselves sub-consciously feeling defensive. (Seriously, why is that?)
That’s not what I’m proposing. We’re going to do a mid-year review of our own personal goals.
Just a bunch of questions we’re going to ask ourselves. It’s not about feeling bad or guilty about the status of our goals. Rather, the objective is to be able to answer the man in the mirror truthfully.
Game? Here we go:
- Where am I with the goals that I set for myself back in January?
- If I didn’t work on my goals at all, why didn’t I? What changed? Are they not important to me anymore?
- If they are still important, what stopped me from working on them? Am I scared of something? Or maybe, I don’t know enough to begin?
- What is my ONE thing (or 2 or 3, but 3 tops!) that is most important to me, and that I really want to work on for the rest of 2015?
- Do I know enough about it to get me started, or to keep me going?
- Whose help might I need to continue or to get some traction.
- How would I feel at the end of the year, if/when I accomplish it?
That’s it. Seven questions. Not so tough right?
Will you do it? Are your goals important enough for you to do this exercise with me?
About The Author: Lou Blaser is the founder of Second Breaks, and the author of 6 Keys To Your Best Career. She’s on a mission to help as many people as she can, get out of soul-sucking, cul-de-sac jobs and into the careers they actually love.
Share small business news, blogs and social media tips with Project Eve’s community of small business owners and entrepreneurs today. Our contributors come from a wide range of backgrounds; so whether you are a small business owner, social media strategist, financial adviser, serial entrepreneur, or write an amateur blog we urge you to contribute a blog to our 500,000+ community today. For more information, please refer to our Content Submissions Guidelines.