If you go into any nail salon you may hear some nail pros praising the name of gel manicures.
“Oh, they last longer.”
“They really are worth the extra money.”
“I would never go back to a regular manicure.”
In case you don’t know what they are, gel manicures consist of a specially formulated nail polish that’s put on in coats, like regular nail polish. Your nails are then dried and hardened under a UV light. That process has traditionalists holding on tight to their old school manicures.
“There’s no way I’m putting that on my nails.”
“That is just way too expensive.”
No matter which side of the nail file you fall, there are pros and cons to the elusive gel manicure. If you’ve been on the fence about whether gel manicures are worth it, take a look at these pros and cons.
The Pros of a Gel Manicure
- Gel Manicures Do Last Longer
Sorry gel-fearing manicure loving friends, but gel manicures do last longer. If you like your nails to have the “done” look more often than not, then gel manicures may be the way to go. They last longer than manicures done with regular polish because of the special nail polish and the drying process. On average, women report that their gel manicures last as long as three weeks. If you compare this to the week to ten days regular manicures last you can see why many women are going gel and never looking back.
- Gel Manicures=No Chips (Hopefully)
One of the many reasons women prefer gel over regular manicures is because they don’t chip. How many times have you left the salon only to have one or more nails smudge? How many times have you gotten home, washed one dish and ended up with three chipped nails? The humanity! If you’re anti-chip then you may be pro-gel.
- Spend More Now, Save Later with Gel Manicures
Do you want to spend more now on your nails or more later as you go for manicure after manicure? If you just want to pay more up front for one manicure that lasts longer then gel is for you. If you don’t mind going back to the salon every week or so and paying each time, then regular manicures may be more your speed. On average a gel manicure will cost you anywhere from $35 to $45 dollars. A regular manicure will run you $12 to $15 dollars. In the end, it’s really just your preference.
The Cons of a Gel Manicure
- Gel Manicures Do a Number on Your Nails
We’ve all heard the saying “beauty is pain”. Well, when it comes to gel manicures, the pain can be in removing the polish. If you think you’re going to buy a regular bottle of nail polish remover and cotton balls at the drug store, think again. Just like there was a process to put on the polish, there is a process to take it off. This process involves soaking your nails in acetone. While this gets the nail polish off, it can also make your nails thin and brittle.
- The UV Factor
Okay, this is a biggie. One of the main reasons women shy away from gel manicures is because ultra violet light is used in the drying process. The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends putting on a broad spectrum sunscreen on your hands about 20 minutes before you start drying. This will help protect you against the harmful rays. Remember, even regular nail lamps produce UV radiation. So, your best bet is to fan or air dry.
- Peeling Can Occur If Not Done Right
Make sure your nail technician knows how to do a gel manicure. If he or she doesn’t, you’ll be able to tell because the polish may lift or peel at the edges. If this happens you know you definitely paid too much and got a mediocre manicure.
In the end, is a gel manicure really worth it? If you don’t worry about UV exposure, don’t mind paying a little more, and don’t mind soaking your nails to get the polish off then probably so. If you’re not a fan of one or all three of those things then you should probably stick to the good old-fashioned manicure.
Are Gel Manicures Bad for You?
Ah, yes, the pressing question of 2018: Are gel nails safe? Recently, some research came out about how these long-lasting manicures might be somewhat unsafe, since the process employs UV lighting, which, of course, has an association with skin cancer. Given the reputation of the light source, I was immediately concerned about the risks of gel manicures, which I usually only get for major occasions like weddings where I don’t want to worry about chippage.
I love the results, sure, but not if it means increasing the chances of getting skin cancer. Sure, I ask for those protective gloves when going under the lamp, but I’m of the mindset that you can never be too safe.
However, according to Vox, the FDA regulates UV nail lamps just as it does UV tanning lights. There have been no official warnings released about UV nail lamps and their dangers, with a dermatologist noting that there is probably no cause for alarm.
Other Safe Manicure Practices by Nail Pros
- Try using organic polishes. Polishes made with organic materials greatly reduce the risk of cancer compared to compounds with BHA.
- Let your hands air dry. Air-drying eliminates the risk of skin cancer caused by UV rays.
- Find a salon that uses LED lights. If air-drying just is not fast enough for you, try finding a salon that uses LED lights instead of UV lights to dry nails. LED lights do not put off as much radiation as UV lights.
- Make sure you pick an experienced and licensed manicurist that can give you a healthy and safe manicure.
SUNUV SUN9C 24W LED UV Nail Dryer Curing Lamp for Fingernail & Toenail Gels Based Polishes (Pink)
$23.99 in stock
- 1.ALL-IN-ONE NAIL DRYER: With advanced professional designed UV+LED dual light source, SUNUV SUN9C nail dryer is applicable to curing almost all nail gels! Its light is closer to white light, has no harm to eyes and skin. Fashionable and durable 50000hrs lifetime, ideal for both home and salon use.
- 2.PROFESSIONAL AND CURING ALMOST ALL NAIL GELS: LED gels, UV gels, including Hard Gels, builder, sculpture gel, gem glue etc..No brand requirements though. Easy to use, just plug in and you are ready to go!
- 3.HIGH QUALITY ASSURANCE AND FULL WARRANTY: SUNUV SUN9C nail dryer provides 12 Months Friendly Customer Service at any times. During warranty, if there is any product issues, we offer free replacement.Customer satisfaction is our first target.
- 4.FAST AND COMFORTABLE: It is low wattage but quick-drying which can shorten your curing time by 50% or overheat than others dryers. Quick and quiet, NO NEED ANY FANS!
- 5.MUTIFUNCTIONAL AND AJUSTABLE: For curing fingernail or toenail and with automatic sensor for curing 99s or 2 timing setting 30s/60s. Let's enjoy nail art at anytime and anywhere!
Modelones Gel Nail Polish Starter Kit, with 6W LED Lamp Base Top Coat, 6 Gels in Tiny Bottles, Portable Nail Gel Kit for Travel
$39.99 in stock
- PORTABLE GEL POLISH KIT:All the gel polish accessories,gel polish and nail lamp were package in a cute trail size carry case.
- LOVELY COLORS AND SMALL SIZE:6 lovely colors that meet your diverse needs.These were sample size but still durable.
- SAVING MONEY:Stop wasting your money on salon.You can do it well yourself with this kit.
- LOW SMELL GEL POLISH REMOVER PAD:Compared to acetone,the remover pad came with the kit would be much low smell and convenient.
- EASY CHARGING:You can use your computer,iphone charger or andriod charger to make it work.
CLAVUZ Gel Nail Polish 12pcs Gray Nail Polish Kit Soak Off UV Gel Nail Lacquer Nail Art Manicure New Starter Gift Set
- Includes 12 PCS Nail Colors
- Affordable Cost-Effective
- Smooth and Long Lasting
- Comes Packed in Exquisite Gift Box
- Perfect Gel Nail Polish Set Gift
Sally Hansen Salon Pro Gel Starter Kit, Shell We Dance?
$43.78 in stock
- Up to 10 salon gel manicures at home
- Up to two week wear
- No chips
- Mirror shine
- How to apply:For best results use with full set of Sally Hansen Gel Polish range
Gellen Gel Nail Polish Starter Kit with 24W LED lamp Base Top Coat, Manicure Tools Popular Nail Art Designs #2
$39.99 in stock
- DECENT GIFT: 32 in 1, a complete nail art starter kit - packed in a big exquisite box.
- GELLEN 24W LED LAMP: This lamp can perfectly cure all kinds of UV/LED based gel products, with innovative LED display screen, presenting you an efficient/safe/convenient home manicure machine.
- NAIL ART FUN: You can DIY popular nail art styles with this nail start kit, make funs easier^_^
- SOAK OFF UV/LED GEL: 2 WEEKS+ wearing, goes on smooth, wears like gel, mirror shine finish.
- SPECIFICATION: Bottle: 8ml, Package: 7.48*6.77*13.7*5.39 (inches) Lamp: 6.69*7.17*33.46 (inches)
Gellen UV Gel Nail Polish 6 Colors + Base Coat and Top Coats, Classic Elegant Colors Manicure Starter Kit
$19.99 in stock
- PACKAGE: 6Pcs gel polish + 1 Set top&base coats. Volume: 8ml/0.27 fl oz each bottle.
- 1.Good tenacity 2.Color performs well 3.Easy application
- With proper application that can last 2 WEEKS+.
- Same brand color gel + base&top coats = best choice.
- REMINDER: Cure under LED/UV light CURE TIME: Average for LED light 30-60 secs, UV light 2-4mins.
MelodySusie Portable LED Nail Lamp - Violetilac 6W Mini Nail Dryer Curing LED GEL Nail Polish Professionally - White
$9.80 in stock
- Quick Drying: This lightweight dryer has 6W power but can still shorten your curing time by 50% more than other UV dryers. It keeps its cool without a fan, making your nail curing quick and quiet.
- Easy to use: This lamp has a one-button design with a built-in timer. Press the button once for 60 seconds and twice for 45 seconds. This setup is easy to use for even the most novel manicurist.
- Portable: It's miniature design is compact, ergonomic, and lightweight. It's the perfect pocket nail lamp for school, office, home use, and travel.
- Gift Idea: It's super cute black design with a heart-shaped button makes a perfect gift for friends and family.
- Long Warranty: Please enjoy our 12-month, no-hassle warranty. Reach out to our friendly customer service if you experience any difficulties.
Gellen New Soak Off UV Builder Gel Set, (15ml, 4 Colors)
$15.99 in stock
- 100% Brand New Package: 4pcs * 15ml
- Easy application to extend your nails, make your hands more attractive.
- Suitable to UV gel nails / acrylic nails / natural nails / etc.
- Free of solvent, no harm to human nails, NON-TOXIC.
- Cure under the UV/LED nail dryer lamp.
Gellen Various 6 Romantic Colors Gel Nail Polish Starter Kit Set
$18.99 in stock
- PACKAGE: 6 bottles VOLUME: 10ml/bottle.
- With a proper application, 2 WEEKS+ wearing is attainable.
- Painting 2 coats that can achieve its true colors.
- Color performance earned thousands of praises from our nail enthusiasts.
- REMINDER: Cure under UV/LED nail dryer lamp.
Gelish Harmony Hard LED Clear Builder Gel, 0.5 Ounce
$9.99 in stock
- Gelish hard gel clear gel
- long lasting wear
- Gelish was the first brush-in-bottle gel-polish ever invented. The US and International patented formulation proves that fact
Amazing Color-Changing Effect UV Gel Polish,Belen Soak Off Chameleon Nail Gel Polish,Manicure Pedicure Nail Art Polish Professional Salon 5g 3012
- Chameleon Gel Polish Measurement: 2.8cm X 2.1cm ( L X H ), Net: 5g
- This Chameleon color can amazingly change colors from different viewing angles.
- Featuring UV3 technology. Free from Formaldehyde, Toluene or DBP(Dibutyl Phthalate).
- It offers 12 colors for customer to experience professional soak-off nail art in reasonable price.
- Mirror finish. No nicks, chips or smudges. At least 2-3 weeks high gloss wear.
10PC Plastic Acrylic Nail Art Soak Off Cap Clip UV Gel Polish Remover Wrap Tool Rose Red
- Soaking the pads with pure acetone
- Putting the soaking pads on the artificial nail