My most recent focus of interest has been making green smoothies.
After hearing raves from my sister I decided to buy a NutriBullet, a compact and efficient blender and food processor that turns your solids into beautiful and smooth liquids.
I begin my mornings with a green smoothie consisting of kale, banana and almond milk, which I recently read is great for balancing hormones, an essential for the ladies!
You can read an alternate recipe at For the Love of Food, but here is my morning version:
– 1 Banana
– a handful of Kale (make sure to wash it first as a great deal of your market kale has been exposed to pesticides)
– about 6 oz of unsweetened almond milk
– a squirt of honey
What you get is a beautiful creamy and smooth green smoothie to set your morning off with some energy. Just in case you were wondering, here are some of kale’s wonderful health properties (source):
– Iron (great for anyone with chronic anemia, which can be common for women during menstruation due to blood loss)
– Fiber for digestion and elimination (a good setup for your morning bathroom run, err no pun intended!)
– Vitamin A for your skin and vision, but also for fighting oral cavity and lung cancers.
– Vitamin C to boost your immune system, your metabolism and to keep you hydrated!
– A morning wake-up call. A friend once told me that the bitterness of the kale give you that same feeling your morning cup of coffee does. So, this is great for anyone trying to reduce their overall coffee intake.