Learning While Playing: Creative Craft Ideas for Kids
Children love to be creative and it is important to encourage them to use their imaginations. Their little brains are still growing and need to be stimulated. Coming up with creative craft ideas for kids isn’t always easy. As a parent you need to set the stage. For a while, you might need to play along and as they get older you’ll want to step away. Doing projects with them can be a great learning experience for them because they not only have to think and follow directions but they also have to have some hand/eye coordination.
Doing crafts that involve drawing and cutting will help them develop their dexterity for learning to write and cut things out at school later on when they are older. Doing simple projects such as pressing their hands into finger paints and making prints on paper gives them tactile stimulation and instills the creative imagination for future projects.
Taking a walk in the woods and using the time to teach children about trees, plants and any wildlife encountered is a very enjoyable experience for everyone involved and it also helps to be an outlet for their abundant energy. What a great way to ensure that everyone is ready to sleep at bedtime, including mom and dad!
Children Thrive In Structured Environments
Having play times and special project times are really good for your children because the structure helps their behavior. Anyone with young children knows that when you throw them off of their normal routines they can become quite cranky. Some children can become nightmares to deal with when they are taken out of normal routines.
Conversely, giving children structured projects and keeping to a routine will help them overcome behavioral issues or prevent them to begin with. Use coloring to help teach children their basic colors and develop coordination as they learn to color within the lines.
Using modeling clays and things made just for children, like Playdough, can give them learning opportunities in three dimensional creativity. Use many types of materials so that you can expose them to different textures and colors. The more you create with your children, the more you stimulate their minds. This is shown to increase IQ later on and make transitioning to school much easier.
Keep Things Safe
Remember that children should always be supervised when doing projects. Be sure to use non-toxic paints, glues and decoration that can be swallowed. I am positive this is the reason that we glued macaroni pictures in elementary school. Who ever died from eating raw macaroni?
Use safety scissors, crayons instead of pencils with sharp leads and don’t let children handle hot glue guns, irons or any other things that could be of any potential danger. Remember that with children, it should always be assumed that they will find a way to injure themselves or someone else. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best at all times.
Communicate with the children about the rules of each project. Challenge them to pay attention and follow rules. Do not compare anyone’s project to one that belongs to another. Give them all kudos and strictly keep things fun. It doesn’t matter if they are coloring in the lines right now; all that matters is that they are having fun.
Stocking Up for Creative Craft Ideas for Kids
Crayola Inspiration Art Case: 140 Pieces, Art Set, Gifts for Kids and Adults
$15.90 in stock
2 used from $ 14.79
- Art Kit Includes: 64 Crayola Crayons, 20 Crayola Short Colored Pencils, 40 Crayola Washable Markers, and 15 large sheets of paper
- Crayola Art Supply Case with organized storage
- 140 Piece Drawing and Coloring Set
Creativity For Kids Hide and Seek Rock Painting Kit
$10.49 in stock
2 used from $ 9.30
- PAINT AND HIDE YOUR ROCKS: Spread kindness and positivity by hiding rocks throughout your community. Customize your rocks so they are unique to you
- COMPLETE CRAFT KIT: Rocks included! Comes with everything you need to paint, decorate and hide 10 rocks
- WATERPROOF ART SUPPLIES: Hide your rocks outdoors! Comes with 8 waterproof paint colors, transfer designs and tracking stickers
- SHARE YOUR ROCKS: Use the tracking stickers to see where your rock is found Use the hashtag (Creativity For Kids) on social media to share your creation with rock painters and finders everywhere
- SAFE FOR KIDS: This kit contains non-toxic art supplies and conforms to ASTM D-4236. Great for ages 6 - 96
Lulu Jr. Illustory Book Making Kit, Multicolor
$23.50 in stock
2 used from $ 18.40
- IlluStory - Create Your Own Book! is the newest version of the award-winning bookmaking kit for children
- This new version of the beloved book making kit features a new writing guide, 'Just Imagine...A Guide to Writing and Illustrating Your Story'; which includes instructions and useful information that guides your child to write and publish their very own book
- 2017 Mom's Choice Award - Gold Award Recipient
- Everything contained in the IlluStory kit allows a child to write and illustrate their own full-color, 20 page, professionally printed hardcover book
- Our "About the Author" feature gives your child the option to be showcased as the published author on the book's back cover
ALEX Toys Artist Studio 24 Rainbow Modeling Clays
- Hours of creative fun for junior sculptors
- Soft modeling clay never dries out
- 24 super bright colors
- Includes 17oz. (500g) of clay
- Recommended for children 3 years of age and older
Crayola Model Magic Deluxe Variety Pack, 14 / Pack, Net .7 Ounce
$11.09 in stock
3 used from $ 10.28
Stanley Guppy 5-Inch Blunt Tip Kids Scissors, Assorted Colors - Pack of 2 (SCI5BT-2PK)
$4.53 in stock
- Great for ages 4+
- Kid-safe blade angle protects while easily cutting through materials
- Ergonomic design for smooth, comfortable cutting
- Long lasting, wear-resistant stainless steel blades
- Name plate window for fun personalization and identification
Prismacolor 3599TN Premier Colored Pencils, Soft Core, 72-Count
$33.84 in stock
- Soft, thick cores are perfect for shading and shadows
- Lightfast, richly saturated pigments
- Ultra-smooth, even color laydown
- Thick, robust leads resist cracking and chipping making them perfect for adult coloring books
- 72 premium colored pencils
ALEX Toys Craft My First Sewing Kit
$14.50 in stock
1 used from $ 13.32
- Foster creativity and skills that can grow to an exciting hobby or an extraordinary career
- This kit is a perfect travel or rainy day activity
- Winner of Dr Toy's Best Classic Toys Award and Parents' Choice Approved Award
- 28 felt shapes, embroidery floss, stuffing, fabric, ric rac, scissors, measuring tape, pins, needles, thimble, pin cushion, 6 buttons, pom pom strip
- Recommended for children 7 to 12 years of age
Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make
$11.86 in stock
61 used from $ 2.43
- Sewing School 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make
Crayola Washable Kid's Paint (6 count)
- Non toxic paint colors
- Packed with bright and mixable colors
- Set includes six different colors of washable kid's paint in 2 oz. plastic bottles
- This multi-purpose poster paint is perfect for: Posters, Banners, Arts and Craft Projects
- Non toxic paint colors
Crayola Washable Glitter Paint Great for Classroom Projects, 6 Count
$6.45 in stock
- Provide ultimate opacity and coverage to your projects! The creamy consistency dries to a matte finish that will not crack or flake
- Easily washes from skin and most washable clothing
- Does not drip readily from brush; does not separate; freeze-thaw stable
- Contains six 2-ounce bottles in 6 glittery colors: Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Purple, Orange
Crayola Washable FingerPaints, 6 Count 8 oz.
$16.40 in stock
1 used from $ 15.93
- This set of Washable Finger Paints for Kids includes 8oz bottles of blue, yellow, orange, green, violet and red finger paint.
- Kids finger paints awaken them to a world of creative self-expression!
- Ez squeeze paints put imaginative art at kids' fingertips, so they can express, connect, and play!
- Crayola Washable Finger Paints are safe for ages 4 & up.
- Nontoxic washable paint easily washes from skin & clothing.