Email can be a huge drain on your time and focus. Depending on your business you could receive hundreds of emails per day.
When I was a full time VA I had several different email accounts dumping into my Outlook Inbox. There were mornings when I had 200 emails! I quickly realized that I needed to have a process for dealing with my Inbox.
Here are a few of the tips that I use to keep my Inbox and email in check.
- Set a schedule for checking your email. For instance, set appointments on your calendar to check your email 4 times a day – like morning, lunch, mid-afternoon and end of day.
- Create email folders to store client or project related emails. I keep all emails and store them by client.
- Create labels or categories to easily color code or label emails by client or project. This allows you to organize the emails in your Inbox by label or category.
- Flag urgent emails. This way they will be easy to find in your Inbox.
- Move completed items out of your Inbox. At the end of each day move the completed emails out of your Inbox into the appropriate folder. This way you know anything left in your Inbox needs your attention.
These tips help me keep my crazy Inbox from overwhelming me and taking too much of my time.
Thank you for reading my blog and please feel free to leave me a comment. I enjoy hearing from you!