I have always been a huge fan of Eagle Creek and about a month ago I reached out to their team to see if I could review some of their luggage. I was planning a family road trip to DC and thought it might be nice to try something other than the super bulky, heavy luggage I’d been toting around since the mid 90’s. The folks at Eagle Creek couldn’t have been nicer and more accommodating. They knew exactly what I was after. They quickly sent me the Morphus 22′ to test out for my trip.
The Eagle Creek Morphus stands out by offering a two bags within one.The innovative construction allows you to zip off the front gear bag from the polycarbonate back shell and use the morphing technology to create a second full-size bag. That’s right – we’re talking TWO carry-on sized travel bags. It’s a game-changer.
After struggling with the instructions a bit, I Macgyvered my way through it and finally separated the bags. Once I figured out how to do it, I kind of felt silly since zipping it apart took a total of about 2 seconds.
Most importantly, I was able to fit a ton of clothing and shoes into the 2 bags. I easily packed 1 weeks worth of clothing for my 2 daughters and myself; I even had room to spare. I NEVER have room to spare so this was a minor miracle in and of itself.
Some of my favorite features include:
- Multiple carry options include zip-away backpack straps, removable padded shoulder strap, and multiple grab handles. I really like the backpack option. It makes things so much easier when you can free up your hands.
- Zip-away backpack straps feature load lifter straps and sternum strap with safety whistle. It is even has a bottle opener – I mean how cool is that!
- Bottom “bathtub” construction resists water if the bag ends up in a puddle.
- In terms of organization, the gear bag is stacked with pockets like its exterior quick-stash pocket for your itinerary. The lockable main compartment contains a zippered pocket, multiple slip pockets, pen slots, and a key fob with a Porter Key bottle opener (How cool is that!)
- It also includes two sleeves for your laptop and tablet device if you have both.
- There are lash points on the side so you can strap this bag to the top of your car.
I’ve been traveling around the world for the last 40 years and I strongly suggest a soft bag like these. They are lightweight which work really well given weight restrictions. The Morphus also has a solid half which seems to stand up well. The best part is that it fits in the overhead bin when it is not divided.
I can’t wait to take this bag with me to Europe this summer!
This bag does not disappoint, thank you Eagle Creek for another awesome product!