10 Reasons to Use a Graphics Designer: Visual Graphics Your Road 2 Success
Do you see what I see? In reality even if we are looking at the exact same image we interpret it very differently. We as human beings have an uncanny cognitive process of how we interpret visual images. Visual images can include everything that reflects light, but for the purpose of this article we are going to concentrate on graphic images.
How we see something affects who we are, what we do, and how it makes us feel. Interpretation can be affected by various factors such as where you grew up, cultural history, emotional state, social status, and group setting. We inherently lean towards visual (nonverbal) communication over textual. Think of children who see and recognize people and objects before they can speak. When words are spoken to us our brain processes those words in short term memory, so goes the saying “in one ear out the other”. Images on the other hand are immediately processed in long term memory and are tagged to other senses of smell, touch, and sound which all make it a more memorable experience.
Visual communication (VC) is quickly absorbed, clearly stated, presents more information at one time, and is overall more effective. Prehistoric cavemen and Egyptian pharaohs depicted our human history by painting and carving illustrations on walls. Through evolution, technology, social class and time pictorial images have survived thousands of years without losing their message. We are a visually literate society that uses fundamental elements of design to help connect to each other effectively.
Visual literacy in regards to art is gaining knowledge through visual media and processing it for meaning and its intended communication. The fundamental elements that go into each design include: line, color, shape, texture, space, and form. With these elements certain principles are applied to make each design effective such as: unity, balance, hierarchy, scale, similarity, and contrast. Therefore when one recognizes the importance of VC in advertising and design they will undoubtedly have obtained one of the best keys to success. Graphics communicate sixty times faster than text alone and have an emotional connection which studies have shown greatly affect our decision making process. Yearly psychoanalyses are conducted to get into the heads of buyers and determine the right image to sell the newest product or service. The value of these assessments is not just in the data obtained but in using it correctly with your branding basics and having a graphic designer draft the best quality visual.
Top ten reasons to use a graphic designer
- Not only are their designs attention grabbers they are targeted specifically to your market needs
- Increase in sales in your product or service with proper advertising
- Brand recognition lends to quicker recall and more loyal customers
- Establishes your company and defines you from your competitors
- Increases staff loyalty and productivity by giving them something to stand behind and believe in
- Trained specialists that know how to combine your ideas into visual selling strategies
- Increase your online presence (website) and social networking standing
- Helps ensure a continuity across all products and brands to be easily recognized by consumers
- Investment in your company’s future
- Affordable on any budget